Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Paris Top








Yay! I am finally posting about the Paris top I made for Allison. I LOVE it. It's made from a Japanese fabric (linen/cotton blend) with little eiffel towers and arc de triomphes all over it. It also has some French sayings on it...however, the sayings do not make sense. I lived in France for 4 years and while I was never fluent, I can still read and understand some of it. So on this fabric it says "Paris is 7:00 PM" and "France is love. Thank you life!". So, yeah, unless I am missing something, or translating it wrong...not sure, but I still think it's cute and fun and reminds me of Paris. If you ask my parents, they will tell you I did not enjoy living there. This is mostly truth, but I still have good memories of France.

So, I wish I had taken pics so I can give a little tutorial, and I probably will because I am going to make a similar top in a bigger size for her (this one was smaller than I intended!). Basically, you take two rectangles the length and width that you want for the top, keeping in mind that you will also be adding some straps. Then you sew the side seams of the top together, then add a band of coordinating fabric at the bottom. Shir several rows at the top ( I did about 6 for Ally). Make straps by sewing two strips of fabric right sides together, leaving an opening, then flip them right side out and top stitch. Then sew the straps onto the top so that they are the correct length (I suggest trying the top on your child and measuring before you do this). I also added a gathered pocket.

Wow, those were terrible instructions. I'll do a better explanation with pictures someday. :) Maybe I'm not good at writing tutorials! I don't think I'll put this one in the shop; the fabric is expensive and I like the idea of Ally having a one of a kind outfit. I made the clip, too, using this tutorial: http://www.bluecricketdesign.net/2010/01/craft-3easy-peasy-scrap-fabric.html I also did an appliqued t shirt for a customer, and I think I will start offering these in the shop!

2 comments:

Johnson Family said...

Love it!! Could you do a 3T??

I hope that I might be one of your fond memories of Paris.....or at least from our week in our tent in Portugal! :)

Whitney said...

Oh, you definitely are :) I mostly had issues the first year there, being away from the US for the first time! And yes I could do a 3T if you wanted :)