Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Peasant dress!


Yes, I know I am supposed to be writing about and putting up more pictures from Christmas, but right now I want to show you the new dress I just finished. This is a peasant dress, made from fabric I bought in Maui, and I really love how it turned out. However, I fought with my sewing machine for awhile until I could get it to shir correctly. Has anyone out there shirred before? I tried it first with my mother-in-law's machine, and it did not work. I worked at it for a long time before giving up and using my own method of sewing with the elastic and then pulling it so the fabric would gather. Same results but took a lot longer than shirring. With my new machine, I discovered that it can shir! However, the thread kept breaking and getting stuck every 2 seconds and I was getting very frustrated. Finally, I took a break. When I came back to my machine, I adjusted the tension again, and it went smoothly. So a lot of work went into this dress, but it was worth it. I at least know that next time it shouldn't take nearly as long.


Anyway, so here is the dress. I have it in my shop has a 2T ready to ship, but I can definitely make it in any size...I just don't have enough of the same fabric for anything bigger than 12-18 months, and can't find the exact fabric online. Oh, well!

1 comment:

Joy said...

I love the dress!
I got a link to your blogsite from a google alert I have for "Joyful". I really like the dress you made. I made a bunch of peasant dresses, too, when I was in high school (we won't say how long ago that was). LOL
I really like the style and the fabrics you chose.
Next time you go to Maui take me along. I've been there, but not to the fabric stores.
I'm going to go and check out your Etsy shop right now. I have some Etsy stores, too.
See you soon!
Joy