Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Annoying New Law

And not only annoying, but possibly very upsetting to some.  Most people have not heard of this, likely because the government doesn't want to hear any opposition, but it makes me mad.  On February 10, people will no longer be able to sell used children's items unless they have been government lab tested for lead.  Now, I am all for lead-free toys, but let's consider a few points.  One, this testing is very expensive and in many cases these toys have already been tested-before they were originally sold (am i wrong here?).  From what I have read, nothing addresses safe toys that have been tested before hitting the store shelves- recalled items, those should of course be thrown out.
My second point is this: Do baby clothes have lead in them?  I'm pretty sure fabric is lead-free, so why do those need to be tested?
Third point: Crafty people who sew/make items for babies out of fabric.  That fabric, I am guessing, was tested (or not, since we already concluded that fabric is lead-free, i think) before someone bought it and made it into an item for a child.  I am pretty sure most of us do not have time to make/dye our own fabric from scratch.
Anyway, the biggest problem with this law is how many small business it will destroy.  Lots of people handmake baby items to sell!  And what about listing things on craigslist or ebay, or having a good old-fashioned garage sale?  I guess we need to fill up the landfills with more junk, even if it is useful.  I, for one, enjoy buying things used rather than wasting my money.  Bottom line is, this law will hurt the economy further.  It's a dumb law and I don't like it.  I am buying as many used baby items as I can before it's too late and I have to go brand-new all the time.
Here is a link for more information, since this blog only holds my opinion:
http://kidsproducts.suite101.com/article.cfm/new_law_effecting_sale_of_childrens_products

1 comment:

Mich(Pixe's Treasure Chest) said...

I don't make anything for children, but I find this law annoying, too. I think I speak for most crafters when I say that none of us willingly use lead and not state so. So of my beads contain lead, and I disclose that info in the description so my customer can make an informed choice.